In this post, I wanted to share the simple steps involved in getting started with AL in Visual Studio Code. If you have already worked with AL before and you have a different approach, please feel free to share it with us in the comments.
Let’s see some pre-requisites required for creating the AL project :
- Download Visual Studio Code from https://code.visualstudio.com/download and install it.
- Install NAV 2018 with Modern Development Environment.
- Mark ‘Enable Developer Service Endpoint’ and ‘Enable loading application symbol references at startup’ in NAV Server as shown below :
- Open Visual Studio Code. Select Extensions in Activity Bar in Visual Studio Code
- Click the ‘More’ option and choose ‘Install from VSIX’
- Choose AL Language extension from the product DVD as shown below and click Install
- You can see that AL Language has been installed in Visual Studio Code
Now we have the environment ready for creating our first AL project 🙂 . Let’s check out an example AL project in the next post : AL Example project